We have identified seven strategic measures within the framework of the roadmap process that can promote the central role of digitalisation in achieving a fossil free future:
1. Appoint a digital transformation committee with international ambitions
Appoint a committee tasked with identifying knowledge the digitalisation consultancy industry gaps, legal barriers, organisational lock-ins and incentives blocking Sweden’s opportunities to accelerate the adoption of digital solutions for a fossil free future.
2. Update appropriation directions with requirements for digital low-energy strategies
Task all government agencies, via their appropriation directions, with developing strategies by which digitalisation can optimally create the prerequisites for a global, sustainable fossil free future by means of energy-smart scenarios.
3. Encourage reporting of Scope 4/avoided emissions that unpack the potential of digitalisation
Augment current incentives that encourage businesses to report their own emissions (Scope 1-3 emissions), including incentives to also report contributions to reduced emissions from the goods and services they provide (Scope 4/avoided emissions).
4. Appoint a fast-track inquiry into data that supports global sustainability
Appoint a fast-track inquiry to determine what data is currently available or can be made available to equip citizens, government agencies and businesses to develop new and innovative solutions from a global sustainability perspective.
5. Clarify the responsibility for digitalisation and sustainability within all government ministries
In order to facilitate coordination within the Government Offices of Sweden, we recommend that the responsibility for the impacts of digitalisation from a sustainability perspective is clarified within each ministry.
6. Allocate resources for a national knowledge boost
Implement a national knowledge boost by augmenting current knowledge-building initiatives in digitalisation and sustainability with focus on how digitalisation contributes to a sustainable fossil free future.
7. Establish testbed zones for sustainable digital transformation
Establish a national initiative in which zones and entire cities interested in acting as testbeds for transforming society in a fossil fuel-free, ecologically sustainable and socially equitable manner can be brought together.